Monday, February 2, 2009

Procrastination Expert

At my job, we have an evaluation portfolio that is due every year about the same time. The creation and submission of this portfolio is usually quite an ordeal as it essentially summarizes my efforts in 4 key categories (teaching, scholarly activity, professional development, and university service) over the previous calendar year. 

Well... my portfolio is due today in about 12 hours (at 5pm, to be exact). Which of course means that this weekend I took it upon myself to gather all of my supporting documents, pile them on top of my desk at home, shut out the rest of the world and... replace the bulbs in the garage door opener... then borrow a ladder to re-attach the vinyl siding that had come undone on the back of the house... strip & re-caulk the sink area and bathtub in the master bath... and complete our tax return paprework for 2008. 

And of course a reminder was sent out about a week ago concerning the due date of these evaluation portfolios. And so naturally I did not wait until the last minute to get started! Instead, I spent last weekend... re-organizing 3 of the 4 closets upstairs as to maximize our storage space and make additional room for Justin's growing collection of toys and clothes.  And as for Superbowl Sunday... with a portfolio due who has time for football?! No, sir! I had to turn the television off, buckle down and... take my family to the mall so that Justin could run around in their new activity play area... and also do some light shopping for his sibling to come. And with so much work to do, who has time to cook, do dishes, clean the kitchen, etc.? So naturally we went out to dinner afterwards.

And with so much "accomplished", I could barely keep my eyes open last night through what appears to have been a pretty good football game. And so I went to sleep. As for the portfolio... well, that's why God invented "the last minute". Because 4:51 am on a Monday morning is when things like that are supposed to get done. 

No comments: