Friday, January 27, 2012

Milestone XXXI

Two things that are not exactly milestones in the usual sense of worthwhile achievements; but things that I nonetheless thought worth documenting simply for the sake of remembrance. In a word, our son has become... a junky.

1. Video Junky
Sometime in the past 3 months, Justin Alexander officially became addicted to video games. Being a boy, this one was probably inevitable; but I thought we had more time before we'd be prying him away from a computer kicking and screaming, begging for 5 more minutes ("but I only have one more level!")... Ahhh... Flashbacks. ColecoVision, 1981. Entire weekends of my life lost to the realm of Donkey Kong and Mouse Trap. Band-Aids secured over joystick blisters. Some of my fondest memories. And here we are... 30 years later (ugh!)... and despite the absence of a Wii, Playstation or an Xbox in the house... our young jedi has found his way. May the force be with him.


From the old...

to the new.



2. Spider-man Junky
Moving to Hartsville has also translated into Justin being unconditionally hooked on one cartoon: Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. Yep, thanks to the good people at Netflix (and also thanks to our lack of cable tv and lack of reception) this classic is now a staple in the cartoon rotation. Funny enough, it's also another throwback to 1981. Just like with the video games, my amusement probably has less to do with Justin and more to do with my own nostalgia. At 6 years old, this cartoon had me glued to the tube. And so it's amusing to see that, 3 decades later, it is still equally potent as a toddler tranquilizer. There's nothing he'd rather watch (though I think Jasmine Olivia could do without it... she calls Spidy a "bad man"). So while that's two more things that the 1st born and I have in common; he's still got me beat in one key category: I never graduated to custome status.





What's the largest size they sell? Maybe it's not too late.

No comments: