Friday, February 4, 2011

Without A Trace

December 3 (just 2 days after she went from crib to daybed) Jasmine gave me a scare for the ages. I almost forgot about this until I came across the photo that I took that night. Here's how it went down...

I woke up at 4am for whatever reason. I raided the fridge. Surfed the web. Got sleepy again and finally headed back to bed. On the way back, I peeked in on the kids. Justin had already completed his nightly migration to our bed, so his bed was empty... But the odd thing is that Jasmine's bed was empty, too. I looked around the room. Nothing. So I went to our room.

Me: Pssst... is Jasmine in here?
V: No...
Me: Did you move her?
V: What are you taking about?

Okay, so in my head, I'm already on the phone with the police. But I'm trying to play it cool so that V doesn't jump through the roof. In that split second, I had already gone through 49 scenarios as to how our second child had gotten abducted. I promise you, that was the scariest .089 seconds of my life.

So I jolt back to reality and finally respond to V with, "nothing... go back to bed"... and I headed back to the kids' room as fast I could without alarming V. I checked the toy room. Back to the bedroom. I scanned the room twice more to figure out where in the world my daughter could be... I was already backing out of the room to finally get V out of bed... and boom. On the 3rd scan, out the corner of my eye, I spotted an arm.



In yet another split second, I went from terror-stricken to a big grin and laughter. How in the world she fell, rolled, and stayed asleep I'll never know. But I do know this much: I've never been so happy that someone fell out of the bed. Incredible.

5 comments:

Danah said...

My heart dropped with you.

I just played "Where's Jasmine?" with Gabriela. She's usually good at those picture books. She just shrugged her shoulders and said "I don't know."

I pointed to her arm. Gabriela, "why is her arm on the ground?"

Reason, well excuse number 55, why we don't have GiGi in a bed yet.

What did Venesa say when you told her?

Charlette said...

That was HILARIOUS!! I'm still laughing! Classic.

Grandma "NaNa" said...

Only in the Reyes house! I tell ya. She looks like ET when he was hiding in the closet with allof the stuffed animals. Hilarious! As far as the 89 seconds I can only imagine, the mind is a powerful thing.

PHYLLIS said...

HILARIOUS!!! LMBO!

avidphotog said...

Danah, to answer your question, I don't think V said much of anything. It was 4 in the morning, after all. The funny part is, I think that was the one and only time that Jasmine fell out of the bed... but she sure made it memorable.