Monday, August 6, 2012

Spoiled Rotten

Well, there goes the summer. In two weeks from today, the school year officially begins and we get to do it all over again. I'll admit, however, that my first year (in my entire life) as a 12-month employee was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I know that you people with "real jobs" are rolling your eyes at me as you read this; but hey, call it what you want. I've been doing nine months of work and a summer vacation for over 30 consecutive years. Old habits die hard. Start with kindergarten, add grade school, undergrad, graduate work and 7 years as a college professor... and suddenly you realize that, for me, June, July and August are like the sabbath. Keep it holy, man. I'll see you in three months.

Well, here we are: just a few weeks past my first anniversary at the new job and I can gleefully say that I not only survived what I thought would be my biggest hurdle (working a 9 to 5 for 12 months), but  what-do-ya-know... I still love my job. One year down. At least 4 more to go [remember... I'm here on a five-year (but renewable) private grant]. Year two here we come.
 
  

No comments: