Friday, February 16, 2007

First posting / 2-week whirlwind

I came across a blog today (another person looking to flip their first house) that inspired me to finally start my own. Plus, in the midst of all the paperwork we've had to fill out lately, it occured to me that with so much going on in our lives, it might be a good time to start a blog. I've flirted with starting it about a thousand times over the past couple of years, but maybe this time it'll stick.

At first, I felt the need to write about everything that has happened up to this point. But then I quickly realized that would take one heck of an essay to bring you up to speed. So instead I'm just going to jump in and say where we are today. My hope is that, if this blog is in existence long enough, the why's, where's, how's and who's will all eventually sort themselves out.

I should also warn you in advance that this blog will likely have no theme whatsoever. It's an account of our life as it transpires. Between the baby being on the way, and the investments that we're looking into, it should be a clever and convenient way to keep track of all of the insanity that is seemingly about to unfold into existence. As much of a whirlwind as the past two weeks have been, I'm guessing that several years from now we may look back at this point and consider this a significant turning point for us. Or not. Who knows.

But with that said, I will at least rewind the past 13 days for you.

Two Saturday's ago: I drove to SC to meet with a realtor and scope out some potential picks for our first rental property (I left at 3am for a 10am meeting). V flew down the same day to spend time with fam while I was out house hunting.

Sunday: V and I revisited the top 3 prospects. She picked the last one as her favorite. By the end of the day I was back on the road, headed to Richmond for a two day work-related workshop.

Monday: In the midst of the workshop, I managed to fax over a contract on the property we selected. And so the waiting game began.

Tuesday: Workshop over / Contract accepted! (Whoo hoo) We are officially on our way to owning an investment property.

Wednesday & Thursday: Finally back home.

Friday: At the last minute, I decided to drive to PA to check out a property that my mom has been telling me about for 3 weeks now. It's a foreclosure that she thinks has plenty of potential for a flip. We've never done anything like that... and already are (to some extent) over our heads with the prospect of owning a property in SC... but for some reason I felt prepared to at least survey the potential of what was going on in PA.

Saturday: I viewed the house with a contractor, got an estimate on the work, and got back on the road for the 6 hour drive back to Hampton Roads. Back in VA by midnight.

Sunday: Back home... just in time to go to church, have lunch with new friends, and catch a horrendous case of food poisoning. We suspect I lost about 6 pounds that day. Man, it was aweful. V was an absolute champion in how well she took care of me.

Monday: To everyone's surprise (including our own) we submitted a contract on the PA property as well.

Tuesday: (gasp) Contract 2 accepted!

Wednesday, Thursday, and Today: We continue to sit in disbelief as we look at each other and try to figure out what just happened. It took us over a year to find the house that we live in, but in consecutive weekends, we were suddenly wheeling and dealing purchase contracts like seasoned real estate moguls. Trust me, we still can't figure it ourselves. And while the whole thing just seems to have come out of nowhere, the amount of peace that we both have had through it all has been enough confirmation for us that, despite our novice status and boat loads of uncertainty, we're confidently headed in the right direction.

And so, with our first child due in June, so begins of our very ambitious dive into the realm of real estate investment.

It;s 8:02am. Time to shower and dress. My first class is 58 minutes away. Until next time...

No comments: