Friday, August 22, 2008

Smoky Emails

An email from a new friend on July 29...

______________

Jerome,
My family and I shared Baskins Creek Falls with you last week. We had a great week in the mountains, visiting a few other waterfalls off the Blue Ridge Parkway (Skinny Dip Falls, a beautiful spot, and the more popular Second Falls just down the road at the Graveyard Fields overlook). You should check out Skinny Dip Falls, its at mile marker 417. That was our third trip to Baskins. We stopped at the cemetary on the way back, and had a hard hike back to the car, very hot and steeper than I remember!

I checked out your website and thoroughly enjoyed your nature photos, especially the waterfalls. I hope you get a chance to send us some pics...

_________________




Will -

Got your email! Somehow it got lost in the shuffle, so I apologize for the long delay. I've been a bit busy wrapping up summer travel, a recent wedding shoot, and prepping for the upcoming school year. In fact, only today have I been able to take my first good look through the photos from that trip. Right after the trip I posted about 10 shots that stood out to me right off the bat, and after spending this morning at the computer I was able to come up with about 3 dozen in all that I thought were worth posting. I've also included 4 shots of your family under Baskin Falls. Here's the link to the gallery. I'll keep them downloadable for a few days, after which you can contact me if you still need copies of them.

And thanks again for the veggie burgers and orange slices. They were worth their weight in gold after a few days of hiking on freeze-dried rations. Speaking of hikes, it sounds like the hike back was treacherous. If you should find yourself back there, don't forget to try the alternate route I mentioned. It's a bit more up and down, but avoids legging out any intense elevation drops/gains in either direction. It turns out that you'll pass a cemetery no matter which route you choose, and the mileage is just about equal either way.

Happy trails!


No comments: