Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Countryside

Needless to say, I woke up yesterday morning looking for the fox again. The whole thing has intrigued me to no end. What's funny is that the fox had been "busted" a long time ago. Back in December when Virginia thought it was Vermont and kept dropping snow like it was a ski resort, I found all kind of tracks in the snow. The first thing that I told Venesa was, we've got a fox! But a week later, I saw the neighbor's rolly polly feline moseying through our backyard, and convinced myself that I was wrong about the fox... even though I knew that the snow was far too deep for a cat to make sense. But now I'm feeling like I deserve a new boy scout badge. Like I tell my students, I should've stuck with my first guess [ choice a, fox ] because now it's looking pretty obvious. That fox was probably here way before we were.

It's also obvious now that our new zip code can be classified as country. Days before the fox siting, I had to swerve the riding lawn mower in order to not hit a rabbit. Then the fox. And then, the next day, while looking for the fox; Justin and I made a new friend. Tommy the turtle.








Between the new backyard obstacle course of toys and wildlife encounters, I think it's time to put up a gate and start charging admission. $5 a kid for 2 hours of fun. A dollar off for each additional sibling. Play at your own risk. Oh... and lunch will not be provided.

No comments: