Saturday, May 19, 2012

No Pots. No Pans.

This Mother's Day entry may be late, but we were actually a day early with our well wishes for mom.

Plan A: So, I had this video in mind. Justin and Jasmine answering fun questions about their mommy, and giving just the most wonderful and endearing answers as the camera rolled. I had all the camera angles in mind, the questions to be asked, shooting location. I had it all figured out; down to the special effects at we ended the video with a chorus of "Happy Mother's Day!" and the two older kids flashing their million dollar smiles for the camera. Fade to black. The only thing I was missing? Two cooperative children. Nightmare video shoot. Let's just say that I'm glad I didn't pay them in advance. I'll take their word for it that they love their mommy like nothing else in the world... But they clearly have no interest in expressing that in front of the camera. So for now, my wonderful video idea will be shelved until my actors are ready for prime time. I might've been too early with this particular "bright idea." We'll see what future years hold.
  


Plan B: How about we just grab a box of crayons and make a banner for mommy? Brilliant! I don't know what foolish soul thought a video would be a good idea... but a crayon banner is looking like a stroke of genius right about now. I'm going to take a nap, kiddos. Let me know when you're done.

End result: Justin and Jasmine presented Venesa with her "The Kitchen Is Closed" poster when she got home from her Saturday Zumba class last week, and we threw a padlock on the kitchen cabinets for a 7 days. I guess you can call it time off for good behavior. For seven days, mommy was exiled from the kitchen (after 3pm). We banished the budget and hit the restaurant circuit for a week (wait... you didn't think I was gonna cook; did you?). Anyone who knows my wife knows that she'll choose a Chik-Fil-A sandwich over a bouquet of flowers 99.74% of the time. And so, it goes without saying that this mother's day was a hit. A new tradition? That remains to be seen. But if shooting a video is the only alternative, then I may as well start making next year's restaurant reservations now. 

Happy mother's day, my love. Now get back in the kitchen before we go broke dining out.

No comments: