Saturday, April 23, 2011

BabyWatch3: It's a...

On Wednesday we had V's 20 week check-up, which (as I mentioned 2 entries ago) marked our grand opportunity to find out the baby's gender. What I didn't mention was that, this time around we decided to actually find out... but not on that day. With everyone being sick, and me having a rough workweek, we just weren't ready to give the potential news the amount of excitement that it deserved. Plus, psychologically, I'm not 100% sure we were ready to break our 2-for-2 trend of not finding out (because once you know, you can't "unknow")... but we were close. So instead, we had the nurse write down the baby's gender on a piece of paper and seal it in an envelope. Surprisingly, she didn't look at us like we were crazy (though she might have been thinking it). So we took the envelope home, keeping it tucked away in mommy's pocketbook. And there it stayed... taunting her like a little kid with a secret every time she opened it... screaming in silence, "I know something that you don't know"... (not really... but it sounds good)... until this weekend... until we called the kids in the room, handed Justin the envelope, braced ourselves, and sat in giddy suspense until he opened it and read it to us aloud...

It's a.... in the words of Justin, "I dunno".... And he honestly didn't... because although he knew how to spell both "boy" and "girl"; we overlooked that he wouldn't be able to read either word in cursive script (d'oh!). And so he handed the envelope to daddy, and with great joy (and a dash of trepidation) I was able to announce....




(Click on the photo to find out the verdict). So now we can look at the last 20 weeks of this pregnancy and say bring it on... because if nothing else, now we can name this hurricane. But seriously, here's to a fun-filled life as a family of five. This time in our lives is truly something special.

1 comment:

Grandma NaNa to the 3rd Power said...

In the words of the Pointer sisters, I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it, I'm about to lose control and I think I like it. I just can't stop grinning. First there was One (Jay) Now, there's three little Jay's. I'm just besides myself.The boy just had to out do me BIG time ! I know I know, it's not about me. V you have made us soooo happy!!!!