Friday, April 24, 2009

Another Day

8 hours ago, I was in a car accident. Hit and run on Terminal Boulevard as I neared the interstate entrance. Hit from behind and side swiped on the passenger side, I fishtailed into the guardrail several times, doing my best to avoid entering oncoming traffic, before regaining control of (myself and) the vehicle. No one was hurt. But the level of frustration felt when someone flees the scene (and flees accountability) for what could have been a fatal situation is indescribable. And the timing of it all (just days after Jasmine's arrival) made the whole situation extremely surreal as I was reminded (very violently, no less) of how precious life is and how quickly it can be taken from us. Scary thoughts, for sure. Certainly enough to make you go home, kiss your wife, hug your children, and redouble your efforts to make the most of everyday.



So now the cleanup begins. Phone calls. Car repairs. Or perhaps a car replacement (depending on if the vehicle is "totaled" or not). Unexpected expenses. Huge inconvenience. And plenty of time lost. It is incredible how 8 seconds on a nondescript Thursday night can conceivable impact the rest of your life. But I just thank God that I am still here to see another day. Because in the scheme of things, everything else besides life suddenly seems very trivial. What a reminder to count your blessings.

5 comments:

Tamara said...

Thank God you are okay!

Miranda said...

Oh my goodness! I'm very thankful you're okay, J and even more thankful for your perspective on it. An attitude of gratitude will help ease any situation. God will continue to keep you all in His care. :-) You all will definitely be in my prayers. God bless :-)

avidphotog said...

Thanks for the well wishes, ladies. And yes, Miranda, gratitude is definitely what I'm feeling right now. It's funny because in the midst of it all while trying to regain control of the car I remember thinking, "Oh heck no... I am so not dying today!"... I'm glad God agreed with me on that one :o)

phyllis said...

sorry to hear about this jerome! soo glad to hear you are alive and well! God is good!

Monica said...

OMG! How scary this must have been! We are sorry that you had to go through this situation... I can't believe how irresponsible that other driver was. What a shame! Good to hear you are OK.