Monday, April 27, 2009

Around The Clock

It's funny what you take for granted. Jasmine's got her days and nights mixed up, a problem that I don't remember having to deal with upon Justin's arrival two years ago. She spent all of last night as wide awake as can be, staring at me and her mom as we fed, rubbed, and patted her down all night... basically pleading with her to go to sleep. Meanwhile, besides forcing a cry, we can barely get her to open her eyes in the daytime . I'm sure she'll figure it out in due time. But in the meantime, her reverse schedule will continue to take its toll on any hopes of a good night's sleep. It's also taking a toll on her having a halfway decent photo scrapbook. When she's up, alert and ready to roll at 3 in the morning, grabbing my camera is just about the last thing on my mind. And as for daytime photos, how many photos can you really take of a sleeping baby? I'm sure I've passed my quota about 5 days ago.

In any event, here are a few photos from yesterday: Jasmine at 8 days old. Two of them were taken during the 11 minutes of wake time that she granted us on Sunday. While the other is from my growing collection of sleeping baby photos. Hopefully by the end of the week, her schedule will start to turn around.




8 comments:

Danah said...

That must be a girl thing. Gabriela had that issue. We did EVERYTHING we could think of and any advice people used; nothing worked.

I won't tell you how long it took us; we'll just pray that she'll catch on quick.

BTW--I'm tripping at all this PINK I'm seeing!! I don't remember Justin wearing a pink onsie. What happened to all the gender nuetral stuff?!! Did you all know and keep it a secret from us?!! At her first appt a few days old she was adorned in pink. LOL!!! Poor Jerome. The fun has only begun. Is her room still green or is that getting a makeover to pink?!!

Venesa said...

Yeah, she's still so young, so we have to keep reminding ourselves that it may take a while to train her - especially since she's just mimicking her activity in my belly during the last 4 months of the pregnancy.

As for all of the pink . . . no, we weren't hiding any secrets - lol :-). Jasmine has primarily been sporting her cousin's hand-me-downs (thanks Zuri). My older brother and his wife just had a girl in September. We've also gotten a few gifts from friends that were too excited about us having a girl and probably had their gift in the mail on her birthday!

And yes, the room has been accented with lots of girly colors as well. When Daddy gets a chance, I am sure he'll be posting that change too. It was so cute because he didn't want Jasmine to sleep in her room until it looked more like a girl's room than a neutral one. So, the 2nd night we were home from the hospital he was drawing up the blueprints, purchasing the materials and painting!! Funny how a neutral room was perfectly acceptable for Justin, but not for daddy's little girl -lol. She's already got him wrapped around her little finger! :-)

phyllis said...

LOL! gotta love those sleeping habits. i can't wait to see yall! i'm still trying to get away without paris!! she's adorable in the photos!!

Monica said...

Think Pink (or Purple!)!! ;-) She's so precious... I can't stop looking at the pictures.

Charlette said...

She's soooo cute! If you need more clothes, I've got plenty..so does my sister!

avidphotog said...

Charlette... yes... yes... more clothes... more clothes...! :o) Thanks. Danah, as always, V has added a dash of exaggeration to her account of events over here... ("blueprints and materials"...?) but I'll be sure to post some pictures of the room revision soon.

Sandra said...

She looks beautiful! Almost 2 weeks in, it sounds like you are very clear of mind Venesa (LOL). That gives me hope for when we have our next little one. Keep up the good work guys...she looks great!

Venesa said...

Phyllis - unless Paris is ill, just bring her! Jasmine is used to having a toddler around. :-)
Charlette - be sure to set some clothes aside for your baby #2 first. :-)
Monica - thank you, too, for contributing to our pink/purple collection. Everyone has been so generous and thoughtful!
Sandra - I think I am a little bit surprised at my "clarity of mind," too. LOL! I guess there's something to be said for experience because things are equally as hectic as they were when Justin was first born, but since there is less unknown, the stress and exhaustion levels are much lower than before.